Local Interest and places to stay....
Visit: FLOYD'S LITTLE HARBOUR on facebook
Harrison Lewis Coastal Discovery Centre
The Harrison Lewis Coastal Discovery Centre was founded in 2007 as a non-profit organization dedicated to the appreciation of the natural environment and rural living. Located on Nova Scotia's South Shore, the Centre offers outstanding opportunities to explore, research, and experience the living landscape
CHURCH ST. CEMETERY
The Church Street Cemetery, located on Church Street in the Town of Lockeport, Nova Scotia, is the final resting place of many of the town’s early residents. Municipal heritage designation applies to the cemetery lot and its landscape features.
The Church Street Cemetery, at one time called the Rood’s Head Cemetery, was established in 1848 on land deeded for the purpose to the trustees by Lewis P. Churchill, a prominent merchant in the community. The land as deeded measured one hundred fifty feet by one hundred feet and was surrounded on all sides by other lands of Mr. Churchill. Its heritage value lies in its being the burial ground where many of the town's early inhabitants were laid to rest.
More than fifty of the descendants of the original settlers of Lockeport are buried here, including Lewis P. Churchill, his wife and several of their children. Lewis Churchill was a direct descendant of Josiah Churchill, one of the first two people to arrive and settle at Lockeport, then called Ragged Island, around 1761.
Others interred in this cemetery include Senator John Locke and at least thirty-one other members of the extended Locke family who were descendants of Dr. Jonathan Locke, an original settler. Also buried here are at least two children from two of the nine Icelandic families who came to Lockeport in 1875, but had all moved west by 1882, except for one couple that remained.
This cemetery ceased being used around 1885, presumably because it was filled to capacity. It was designated as a registered heritage property in December, 1992.
Source: Municipal heritage property files, “Church Street Cemetery”, Town of Lockeport, NS.
ROODS HEAD PARK
LITTLE SCHOOL MUSEUM
The Little School Museum is a one-storey wood frame building constructed around 1845. It is located on Locke Street in the Town of Lockeport, Nova Scotia. Municipal heritage designation applies to the building and the land on which it is located.
The heritage value of the Little School Museum in the Town of Lockeport lies in its history as the first purpose-built schoolhouse in the community and its current status as a community museum. It was probably built around 1845 as a private schoolhouse where peripatetic teachers were employed by the parents of the students. Publicly funded education did not come into being in Nova Scotia until 1864, and previous to that time it was left to parents or hired tutors to educate the young. James D. Locke, a local merchant, apparently undertook the construction of this schoolhouse on lands deeded to him by his father. One of the early teachers hired to work here was a James Glenn Allen who settled in Lockeport and after leaving the teaching profession became a prominent shipping merchant in the community.
After public education was initiated in the province, a larger school was built to accommodate the increased student population. This old schoolhouse was subsequently sold to John Anderson, who had retired from the Militia and married a local girl. It is presumed that the back ell and the front porch were added on while the Andersons lived here. During their residence, John Anderson was employed as a watchman at a quarantine station on one of the nearby islands, where people arriving from foreign ports and returning seamen were held until it was ascertained that they were not carrying any contagious diseases. After Mr. Anderson’s death in 1898 his heirs retained ownership of the property until 1967 when it was sold to the Lockeport Garden Club.
In 1967 the Lockeport Garden Club took on the restoration of the abandoned building as a Centennial project. It was realized that this was an important part of the community’s history, thus the decision was made to transform it into a museum wherein artefacts from the area could be housed so local children, and others, could learn more about the area’s past. The Garden Club continued the management and maintenance of the property until 1983, when the property was sold to the Town of Lockeport, which has continued stewardship of the historic site.